Thanks for a great contest in 2020. Northern Lights Contest information will be updated for 2021 toward the end of January.
Special Achievement Awards
MAGC'S special achievement awards recognize individuals who have helped build public trust in government, whose work has gone well above and beyond the normal duties and responsibilities of their positions.
- The Communicator of the Year Award recognizes an outstanding effort made in 2019.
- The Scott Pengelly Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes a remarkable body of work accomplished over the course of a career.
Nominations are reviewed by a nominating committee (MAGC board members and/or other participants designated by the board). The committee may recommend zero, one, or multiple finalists for each award. The award recipient(s) will be selected from among these finalists.
The recipients are revealed at the Northern Lights Awards Ceremony each year in May.
Process Improvements for 2020
MAGC has made it much easier to nominate someone this year for these awards. At the initial stage, we are only asking for the name of the person you're nominating, the award you are nominating them for and a short explanation about why the person should be considered. If the nominating committee selects your nominee for consideration as a finalist, MAGC will contact you to ask for additional information to help with the final selection.
- Individuals receiving these awards must have performed communications work for (or on behalf of) a government entity during the preceding calendar year.
- Recipients need not work in a "communications" job. Communications professionals, organizational leaders, public safety personnel and leaders and people in other occupations are eligible for nomination if they meet all eligibility criteria.
- Recipients must have been in compliance with the MAGC Code of Ethics in performing government duties with truth, accuracy, fairness, responsibility and accountability to the public.
- Recipients need not be MAGC members.
- Currently serving MAGC board members are ineligible to receive these awards.
- Any current MAGC member in good standing may submit a nomination.